Summer 2014 Highlights
Wow, where did summer 2014 go? Seems like only yesterday I was hacking down the jungle in my back garden and raking the rust off the barbecue grills in readiness for the good times ahead. For us here in the UK, summer literally ends as you walk away from the Notting Hill carnival but carnival was early-ish this year so we still had a couple more days to kill. But it’s definitely over now though, it’s August 31st, summer’s over whatever the meteorological office says.
For me, summer starts May 1st and ends August 31st and that period sure has seen so much happen this year, so I thought i’d think back on the highlights of the summer as well as the songs they conjure up in this man’s musically messed up head.
1. The Oscar Pistorius trial – This had a us all glued to our TV sets, the Rottweiler, Gerrie Nel cross-examining Pistorius was real life drama that Hollywood couldn’t make up. Didn’t you just hate how they took break after break, recess after recess, leaving us hanging? Teasers! We await the verdict on September 11th….
Yarbrough & Peoples Guilty
2. The summer of sports – We had the world cup in Brazil and the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. Highlights of the world cup were Luis Suarez’s Hannibal Lecter impression as well as the complete annihilation of everybody’s favourite Brazil by eventual winners Germany. The highlight of the Commonwealth Games was Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare winning the 100m and 200m double.
Kleeer – Winners
3. The shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri. Unarmed Black man shot dead by white Police officer seems to be an annual occurrence in the USA, you can see why folks got mad and riots resulted.
Public Enemy – Fight The Power
4. Israeli Palestine conflict– It all kicked off again in the region, yet another chapter. Countless world leaders have tried for decades to resolve this crisis but it just never seems to end. Hope it does one day soon.
Fela Kuti – Stalemate
5. The Ebola virus outbreak in Liberia, Sierra-Leone and Guinea. Over 1,500 have died and there is no cure or vaccine as yet. Looking like it’ll get worse better it gets better.
Michael Jackson – Liberian Girl
6. Those we lost. This summer, Maya Angelou, Bobby Womack, Ruby Dee, Casey Kasem and Robin Williams bid farewell to this world. May their souls rest in peace.
Puff Daddy – I’ll Be Missing You
7. The crash of Malaysia Airlines MH17. Allegedly shot down over Ukrainian airspace with the loss of 238 lives on board, what made this all the more shocking was that it was mere weeks after the disappearance of Malaysian Airlines MH370. What a world we live in now.
Marvin Gaye – Mercy, Mercy, Me
8. Hotter than July. July was a scorcher in the UK, humid, hot but we weren’t complaining…..at first. Then it all got too much and we were all longing for the good old cosy winter nights. Just can’t please people.
James JT Taylor – Long Hot Summer Night.
9. Notting Hill carnival got rained off. There was just no relenting on the main day, Monday but there was still a good turnout, you just can’t hold back the die-hard and still arrests! But it’s happened a couple of years now, this rain business so I think it’s time the organisers start thinking about a change of location to say, Southern California.
Tony! Toni! Tone! – It Never Rains (In Southern California)
10. Song of the summer – Have to give this one to Pharrell Williams and Happy. It was really strong earlier in the year but still stretched into the early part of summer so it qualifies. Written for the Despicable Me 2 soundtrack, Pharrell had to send 10 versions to the filmmakers before they were happy. He probably re-sent the first version….
Pharrell Williams – Happy
Enjoy the rest of the year and remember you only have 3 months of the year left to do all those things you were supposed to get done before the summer. Yes, 3 months, we all know December is non-productive.
Keep it Woofer!